Easter food safety:
There are many foods and plants that are dangerous to dogs, but over Easter, perhaps these should be higher up on your considerations:
However enticing chocolate is for humans and dogs alike, chocolate is another poisonous food for dogs. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine (dark chocolate has the highest content of this) which is toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure. The smaller the dog, the less of it he would need to eat for it to be toxic.
2. GRAPES AND RAISINS
Raisins are in many of the foods that we love to eat particularly at Easter time such as hot crossed buns, cakes, biscuits and cereals so it’s not just the fruit form we should be concerned with. The active ingredient which causes the toxin is unknown, however both grapes and raisins may cause severe liver damage and kidney failure. We have no idea which raisins will effect which dog so the best advice is to speak to your vet for further advice if your dog has eaten even a singular raisin.
Daffodil bulbs are toxic to dogs so please make sure, particularly if you have a new puppy who has discovered the pleasures of digging, that he is not digging up something harmful.
4. DAFFODIL WATER
Even the water from your Daffodils can be harmful to your dog so please make sure you elevate any vases high enough that your furry friend cannot take a sneaky drink
Every part of a lily is toxic (the pollen, the stem, the flower itself and the stamen) – particularly to cats. Sadly we find that cats in particular may brush alongside the lily and then try to groom themselves to remove the pollen, and in doing so ingest the toxins. This can cause kidney failure.
Alcohol has a huge impact on dogs even in small doses. The drink not only causes intoxication as it does in humans, but it can lead to sickness, diarrhoea and even central nervous system damage.
7. ONIONS, GARLIC AND CHIVES
The onion family, whether dry, raw or cooked, is particularly toxic to dogs and can cause gastrointestinal irritation and red blood cell damage. Signs of illness are not always immediate and can occur up to a few days later.
8. MACADAMIA NUTS
Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can affect your dog’s muscles and nervous system resulting in weakness, swollen limbs and panting.
9. CORN ON THE COB
Corn on the cob could potentially be fatal if eaten by your dog. Although the corn is digested by dogs, the cob can cause a blockage in your dog’s intestine.
Avocados are another poisonous food for dogs. Avocado plants contain a substance called Persin which is in its leaves, fruit and seed and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs.
11. ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER (XYLITOL)
Our desire for sweet treats, chewing gum and drinks together with low-fat, diet and sugar-free products (including some peanut butters so always check the label before using this as a treat) are often laced with an artificial sweetener called Xylitol which causes an insulin release in our bodies. However, if your dog digests one of these sweetened foods they can go into hypoglycaemia which is linked to liver failure and blood clotting disorders.
12. COOKED BONES
Giving your dog a raw uncooked bone to chew on is great, but avoid cooked bones at all cost. These can easily splinter and in large quantities cause constipation or at worst, a perforation of the gut which can be fatal.