Why? THIS is why ……
Well, although we all HOPE we will never be in a position where we need to use it, at least if our luck runs out and we’ve had the forethought to undertake a first aid course, we will know what to do. This was certainly the case for Jonathan who contacted me this morning. He did stunningly well in the face of a terrifying ordeal. Well done Jonathan, you were amazing! Feel better soon Molly xx
These are Jonathan’s words … because nobody explains it better than somebody who has been through it:
A cautionary tale:
My name is Jonathan Heath. I have 2 Labradoodles who I run with every day. In 2017 I undertook my doggy fist aid with Rhodes 2 Safety canine first aid training. Both my dogs are energetic so I like to let them off the lead to run freely, even though the woodland we run though (Ferndown Common in Dorset) has it’s fair share of obstacles.
One morning about 1 month ago, we were running our usual route. Ruby (the younger and more agile dog) dodged under a gate and accelerated into the woods. 10 paces in, she came upon a very large branch, pointy end facing her. She dodged and swerved it. Molly (the older dog) was right on her tail and, not seeing the branch until too late, hit it full in the chest. The sharp end entered her chest under the skin at the bottom of the rib cage and travelled up under the skin between the pectoral muscles. Surprised and shocked, she backed off and turned to face me as I ran through the gate. Molly was losing a lot of blood.
Remembering my first aid instructions, I lifted her front legs from behind and applied firm pressure to the wound with the flat of my hand. I called to another dog walker I had just seen. Fortunately, she had a mobile phone (I always carry mine now!). She was able to ‘phone my wife who we directed to meet us, driving to a near by access road. After 15 minutes the bleeding began to slow. Molly was able to limp to the car. Another 15 minutes later and the nurse at the local vet welcomed us. The vet sedated Molly and sewed her up.
She has now had the stitches out and will be back out exercising soon.
Thank goodness for my doggy first aid training. The vet said a major artery had been nicked and without the correct first aid Molly would not have made it!
- Thank you so much to Jonathan for sharing his ordeal with us all. Stories like his are not shared to terrify anybody, but simply to illustrate how easily things can turn and if they do, if you know HOW to deal with the situation, the outcome can be so much better. We wish Jonathan, Molly and Ruby many more happy years of running together. Kerry x