Moleskin has a variety of uses, but none more suited than healing a split ear tip. Floppy ear dogs can often get dry skin at the tips of their ears and when they flap, they can split at the ends causing arcs of blood to shoot out like a murder scene. Healing this injury can be a real pain but one thing that can help you is Moleskin.
- Apply pressure to the area for around 5 minutes until it stops bleeding.
- Once the bleeding has stopped, apply a covering of liquid skin super glue (available in the shop Liquid Skin ).
- Allow this to dry and then cover the split area with a small section of wound dressing.
- Next, cut two ear shape pieces of moleskin and stick one either side of the ear flap, just beyond the edge of the ear by about 1 cm.
- Stick the over hanging edges of the moleskin to each other to create a seal all the way around the edge of the ear flap. This should stay in place for around 1-2 weeks as the moleskin is VERY sticky.
To remove the moleskin:
- Slather both sides of the ear flap with something like Aveeno oatmeal moisturiser so that it soaks through the moleskin dressing.
- Leave for around half an hour before peeling off. This should prevent you pulling out too many hairs from your dogs ear fur.
- Once the ear has healed sufficiently, leave off the moleskin and apply Aveeno liberally to the ear tips, 3-4 times per day for a couple of weeks to make the skin supple, elastic and healthy so that when they flap in the future, the skin will stretch rather than split and open.